z didnt really have a good bed set. when he moved down stairs, we got my a bed set from my sister. it served its purpose, but i wanted something that he could eventually take with him.... some LONG distant day down the road. i got a pretty good deal on these 2 dressers. the top on 1 was a bit rough, but i thought i could maybe fix or paint it. best part is they are real wood and pretty solid and sturdy.
apparently i didnt get very many before pictures. but this is what the tall dresser looked like with a few drawers sanded and original. there were some wood decals on the front of the smaller middle drawers that werent complete. i ended taking them off (with a little muscle and a putty knife) so i had to sand all the drawer fronts. at this point i wasnt sure if i wanted to try to fix the tops or paint them.
but i liked the color that came out when i sanded, so paint the tops it was (i know i DONT paint wood. this was a once in a handful of times it will probably ever happen to furniture)
had i known how hard it can be to strip off veneer, i may have decided to fix the tops. it was NOT fun. took LOTS of muscle, a few different putty knives and a warm wet towel. once i finally got all the veneer off, i did like the wood. but i only stripped 1 top and i wasnt about to to the other, no matter how neat the wood underneath was.
here are the drawers after i got them washed up. beautiful color!!!
and the finished result! i like the 2 tone wood from sanding the drawer fronts and just resealing the sides. i did use a chalk paint fro the tops, but wanted a more rustic feel to them, so i used my palm sander to remove some of it.
now you must be thinking i said i wanted z to have a bed set to take with him someday. but you have only mentioned dressers.... i had to have a headboard, foot board and frame made. blake did an awesome job taking my ideas from pinterest and making it come true. i love how the boards are all different widths. and its very sturdy.